Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These meat pies are really great especially with some tomato sauce (ketchup).
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g chuck or 400 g blade steaks, diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 150 g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 200 ml red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- sea salt
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 200oC.
- Lightly spray a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Cut out 10 x 12 cm rounds of short crust pastry.
- Press into the base of each muffin tin.
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a medium saucepan over a high heat.
- Brown meat in batches.
- Add remaining oil to pan and reduce temperature to medium, add vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
- Return meat to the pan and stir through the flour.
- Cook for one minute then add the wine, tomato paste, stock and rosemary.
- Stir and cook for 50 mins-1 hour or until tender.
- Season to taste and stir through parsley.
- Set aside to cool.
- spoon beef mixture into pastry cases.
- Cut out 10 x 10 cm rounds of puff pastry.
- Place on the top of the pies and press edges with a fork.
- Brush generously with egg wash, pierce the top and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.