Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Revamped from another recipe for my meat and potatoes guy. No veggies here but feel free to add them if you like! I serve the veggies on the side (picky dh) With or without this a is very yummy and well seasoned savory pie! I use turkey but any ground meat can be used.
Top Review by ColCadsMom
I was TOTALLY surprised at how tasty this pie turned out! I had well seasoned creamy mashed potatoes, and added extra milk to them as suggested in step 9. I did not add veggies, as I wanted to make them on the side. I used 1 pound of ground turkey and 1 pound of ground chicken. The ground allspice gave such a distinct flavor, that DH said was a little medicinal to him, but I LOVED it! I did cheat and use the refrigerated pie crusts that were already made. This was a wonderful departure from a "pot pie" that I will make again. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT3.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 lbs ground turkey or 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute meat and onion in oil until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Add potatoes and seasonings and mix well.
- Line pie pan with one crust and fill with meat mix.
- Top with second crust and pinch to seal.
- Cut slits in top of crust to vent.
- Brush crust with beaten egg and place filled pie pan on cookie sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes until crust is browned.
- Note: Updated after review.
- If you prefer a more moist pie add some milk or cream to your mashed potatoes before adding to the filling. You could also tear a piece of bread or two and soak them in milk or broth and then add them to the meat mixture.