Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Revamped from another recipe for my meat and potatoes guy. No veggies here but feel free to add them if you like! I serve the veggies on the side (picky dh) With or without this a is very yummy and well seasoned savory pie! I use turkey but any ground meat can be used.
- Saute meat and onion in oil until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Add potatoes and seasonings and mix well.
- Line pie pan with one crust and fill with meat mix.
- Top with second crust and pinch to seal.
- Cut slits in top of crust to vent.
- Brush crust with beaten egg and place filled pie pan on cookie sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes until crust is browned.
- Note: Updated after review.
- If you prefer a more moist pie add some milk or cream to your mashed potatoes before adding to the filling. You could also tear a piece of bread or two and soak them in milk or broth and then add them to the meat mixture.
I was TOTALLY surprised at how tasty this pie turned out! I had well seasoned creamy mashed potatoes, and added extra milk to them as suggested in step 9. I did not add veggies, as I wanted to make them on the side. I used 1 pound of ground turkey and 1 pound of ground chicken. The ground allspice gave such a distinct flavor, that DH said was a little medicinal to him, but I LOVED it! I did cheat and use the refrigerated pie crusts that were already made. This was a wonderful departure from a "pot pie" that I will make again. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT3.
This was very good,I changed the recipe to 1 1/2 lbs meat and soft mashed potatoes.
I've never had a French (or Canadian) meat pie before. We really liked the allspice flavor, and the ground turkey worked very well with it. The taste was great, but we thought it was dry - perhaps it is the nature of this type of pie, though. We are used to Southern pot pies with creamy gravy in them! Nonetheless, DH had two slices (one with ketchup, yuck!), and I had one. We'll enjoy the the other half pie this week too. Thanks for sharing your recipe.