Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great casserole dish! Great for potluck! This recipe is from "Family Circle" or "Woman's Day" magazine, 2005.
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 3 medium yellow onions, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (28 ounce) packageprepared garlic-flavor mashed potatoes (Country Crock)
- 3⁄4 lb ground round
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- In a medium saucepan, bring carrots, onion, and 4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, until veggies are tender. Add peas and cook. Remove from heat. Drain, reserving 2 cups of the veggie water. Set aside water and veggies.
- Stir beaten egg into prepared mashed potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x9x2-inch casserole. In large skillet over medium heat, sauté ground round and garlic in oil for 5 minute Stir in Worcestershire sauce, thyme, hot-pepper sauce, and salt. Add flour to meat mixture and cook, stirring. Stir in 2 cups reserved veggie water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in carrot mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly and the potatoes are browned. Makes 6 servings.
Yummy and easy. One of the best received dishes I've made.
I added mashed parsnips to the last batch and it was fantastic. Great way to sneak in extra veggies!