1 hr 45 mins
I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef (IHHDRO), departed the site. I can't *wait* to try this. Mean posted it on posted May 18, 2002.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped (El Rey or Scharfen Berger)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb unsliced egg bread or 1 lb brioche bread or 1 lb challah, crusts trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1Note: I rarely make the sauce.
- 2Although it is wonderful, I prefer to use unsweetened whipped cream.
- 3Since this recipe is all about the chocolate, DO NOT USE Low quality.
- 4FOR SAUCE: Stir sugar and water in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- 5Mix in corn syrup and lemon juice.
- 6Increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally.
- 7Remove from heat.
- 8Pour in cream (mixture will bubble up).
- 9Stir over low heat until caramel is melted and smooth.
- 10Increase heat; boil until sauce is reduced to 1 2/3 cups, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat.
- 12Mix in pecans and bourbon.
- 13(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm before using.) FOR PUDDING: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 14Combine milk, cream and sugar in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 15Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boil.
- 16Remove from heat.
- 17Add chocolate; stir until smooth.
- 18Beat eggs and vanilla in large bowl to blend.
- 19Gradually whisk in chocolate mixture.
- 20Add bread cubes.
- 21Let stand until bread absorbs some of custard, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 22Transfer mixture to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- 23Cover with foil.
- 24Bake until set in center, about 45 minutes.
- 25Uncover; cool at least 15 minutes.
- 26Serve pudding warm or at room temperature with warm sauce.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean's Chocolate Bread Pudding With Bourbon-Pecan Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 769.7
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 284.7 mg
- Sodium 303.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 48.8 g
- Protein 13.5 g