Recipe by Halcyon Eve
I adopted this recipe from Mean Chef, who described it as "quick easy and delicious." I agree--it's simple to make, very yummy, and reasonably filling. It makes a good, light meal.
Top Review by SarasotaCook
Very good flavor. Enjoyed it very much. I did have to make a few changes for my taste, but not many and it is because I like very spicy. First, I did saute the onion, peppers, garlic along with some cumin and adobo seasoning (I added some extra seasoning), then added the broth, rotel (instead of a tomato), chicken (roasted chicken I had on hand) and orzo to heat up and cook the orzo. To finish, I added the lime juice and cilantro. I like to add citrus right at the end if possible. To serve it, I topped with some fresh scallionsI It is really a great recipe as is. I just like a bit more seasoning for me personally, but it was really good as is. That was just my personal taste. It was easy and delish. I made it this am ... I wake up very early. I look forward to enjoying a bowl for lunch. 7am is a bit early for it but definitely tasted it and loved it. Will be making again many times. Thx for a great easy recipe. Kim
- 3⁄4 cup orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- fresh cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook orzo in pot of boiling salted water until just tender.
- Drain well.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and chiles.
- Sauté until onion begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken; sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, lime juice, and tomato.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in orzo, then chopped cilantro.
- Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into 4 bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs.