1 hr 20 mins
Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
You don’t have to be an ‘Italiano’ to enjoy this ‘slice of heaven.’ The moist shortcake-like density, generous layer of sweetened ricotta cheese, and cinnamon-sugar crumble topping will surely impress family, friends, and guests alike. Surprisingly simple to prepare, the result is unbelievably delicious! Your guests will think you slaved for hours over this splendid dessert cake. That’s O.K. – Just smile and sip your after dinner espresso. Please Note: I would like to share credit for this "Italian Love Cake" recipe version with the Kirkwood Ski Education Foundation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For The Cake
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package cake mix (Yellow or lemon, Your favorite brand)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs, Plus
- 3 eggs, needed to prepare the cake mix
- 3 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese (Drained, See 'directions')
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (Not imitation)
For The Topping
- 1For The Cake:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees*.
- 3Grease and flour a 12x15x3 cake pan.
- 4Prepare the cake according to the package instructions; using the 3 eggs and vegetable oil.
- 5Pour the cake mix into the prepared pan, spread evenly, and set aside.
- 6SPECIAL TIP: If desired, mix cake batter using 1 cup water and 1/4 cup Anisette, Limoncello, Frangelico or other liqueur in place of the 1 1/4 cups of water as called for on the package directions.
- 7With a mixer on medium speed, beat the remaining eggs; add the ricotta cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until sooth and fluffy.
- 8Carefully pour over the middle of the cake mix. DO NOT SPREAD OR BLEND THE TWO BATTERS TOGETHER.
- 9Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. (Ricotta cheese will go to the bottom.)
- 10Remove from the oven; cool in pan on baker's rack.
- 11For The Topping:
- 12In a food processor or blender, blend the first 5 ingredients together.
- 13Add chilled butter cubes; cut in until the mixture looks like wet sand.
- 14To Finish Off The Cake:.
- 15Cool cake until warm, about 1 hour. Evenly sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar crumbles over the cake.
- 16Serve with vanilla ice cream or gelato and a cup of steaming espresso. "That's Amore' !".
- 18TO DRAIN RICOTTA CHEESE: Wrap ricotta in a double layer of cheesecloth. Place in a colander, weighed down with 2 or 3 soup-like cans from your pantry. Drain over a bowl in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- 19*NOTE: If using a glass baking dish or disposable foil pan, bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Me Amore' - Italian Love Cake
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.0
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 267.0 mg
- Sodium 547.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 49.7 g
- Protein 21.6 g