Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very moist cake that'll have 'em coming back for more.
- 3 cups unsifted plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch, level
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- peppermint extract
- Grease 2 9" x 1 1/2" layer pans.
- Line bottom with greaseproof paper.
- Grease & flour paper.
- Sift together all dry ingredients into a large bowl,.
- Stir in mayonnaise.
- Gradually stir in water & vanilla until smooth & blended.
- Pour into pans, and bake at 350° F OR 180° C for 30 minutess, or until cake springs back when touched.
- Cool completely before removing from pans.
- Chocolate Frosting:.
- Put cocoa powder, sugar & cornstarch in pot; mix well.
- Stir in water.
- Cook & stir until thick and smooth.
- Add butter & vanilla.
- Stir vigorously until smooth and shiny.
- Spread on cake.
- Add 2nd cake on top.
- Spread remainder of topping onto cake.
- Add peppermint essence as an optional flavour.