Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
After much testing, adjusting and combining of recipes and ingredients I have finally come up with a chili recipe I’m willing to put the “Mawthook’s” name on. Great served with crusty rolls or tortilla chips.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- Cut up stewing beef into ½ inch cubes.
- Sprinkle with flour and scramble fry in Canola oil with ground beef, onion, garlic, peppers, and carrot in a large pot or Dutch oven until ground beef and steak are no longer pink. Drain.
- Add kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir to mix.
- In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add to the meat and vegetable mixture in the pot and mix in well.
- Bring chili to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover loosely and simmer for 45 minutes stirring every 15 minutes or so to ensure it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
Now that's some chili!!! Packed full of meat just the way DH likes it. I was even brave and added the cocoa into it. But I could not pick out the cocoa flavor. Mawthook, thanks for a great meal the whole family really liked this!! Made for *PAC Fall 2007* game