Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is great with fresh green beans on the side and a slice of garlic bread or yeast roll.
- 1⁄4 lb andouille sausage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) flank steaks
- Cook sausage in hot oil in a skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Sauté onion and next 3 ingredients in skillet 5 minutes or until tender. Add wine and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Stir together mashed potatoes and 1 cup hot water in a large bowl; stir in sausage, onion mixture, parsley, thyme, and nutmeg.
- Place steak between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Spread potato mixture evenly over flank steak, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Roll steak, jellyroll fashion, starting with a long side; secure with string. Place on a lightly greased rack in a broiling pan.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 375°. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or to desired degree of doneness.