1/1 Photo of Mashed Potato Spice Cake With Caramel Frosting
Recipe Junkie's Note:
This is from the Southern Saratoga Women's Club cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherry, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease and flour two 9-inch layer pans.
- 3Sift flour with cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
- 4In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter with sugar, potato, and egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- 5At low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture.
- 6At hight speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 7With whisk or rubber scraper, fold egg whites into flour mixture.
- 8Stir in nuts, raisins and cherries.
- 9Turn into pans.
- 10Bake 40 minutes.
- 11Let stand 1 minute before turning out to cool.
- 12For Caramel Frosting:.
- 13Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- 14Remove from heat.
- 15Add brown sugar, stirring until smooth.
- 16Over low heat, bring to boiling, stirring.
- 17Boil, stirring one minute.
- 18Remove from heat.
- 19Add milk.
- 20Over low heat, return just to boiling.
- 21Remove from heat and cool to 100°F on candy thermometer.
- 22(Bottom of pan will feel lukewarm.).
- 23To cool quickly, set pan in ice cubes.
- 24Gradually add confectioners sugar.
- 25Beat at low speed until blended inches.
- 26Beat at high speed until frosting holds its shape - about 30 to 60 seconds.
- 27Add vanilla.
- 28Spread half on bottom layer of cake, letting it drip down sides.
- 29Place second layer on cake.
- 30Spread remaining frosting, allowing it to drip down sides.
- 31Swirl top of cake with back of spoon.
- 32Arrange pecans on top of cake.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potato Spice Cake With Caramel Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 913.8
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 153.0 mg
- Sodium 576.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 128.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 99.2 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: