Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is the perfect side dish for any meat or fish. A little spicy and creamy.
- 20 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 1⁄2 lbs white potatoes, peeled
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Put the garlic cloves into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes. Drain.
- Cool slightly and press the garlic out of the skins into a small bowl.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and steam over boiling water 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain and put into a large bowl. With an electric mixer beat the hot potatoes until well mashed. Beat in the garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, milk, green chilies, salt and 2 tablespoons butter or margarine.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy. Transfer to a greased 2-quart casserole and cool. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours ahead. Remove from refrigeration 1 hour before cooking.
- Dot with 1 tablespoon butter and bake, covered, in a preheated 350 degree oven 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking 25 additional minutes.
- Note: For those who like very spicy food, substitute a 4-ounce can of chopped jalapeno chilies for the chopped green chilies.
Who would ever believe this much garlic would taste so good? Try it, my family and I loved it.