Recipe by keen5
This is great for using up left over mashed potatoes. Everyone loves it, especially kids. There are other potato candy recipes here, but none even close to this one that I've seen. My mom use to make this at Christmas all the time. This is very popular in the PA Dutch area. Prep and cook time is based on leftover mashed potatoes. Note: Instant potatoes don't work well.
Top Review by peppermintkitty
keen, I don't have to make your recipe to give it a 5 star! I've made this candy this way for over 40yrs....just like my momma taught me, ha ha. I showed my granddaughter over last school break. I'm glad to see someone else likes it, although it is very sweet and not too health conscience! It is a great, inexpensive treat. Thankyou for posting it!!
- 1⁄4 cup mashed potatoes (1 sm. potato)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all ingredients, except peanut butter.
- Add sugar until it's of dough consistency.
- Refrigerate to chill dough for an hour or two.
- Roll out onto powdered sugar dusted bread board or waxed paper.
- Spread peanut butter over potato dough.
- Roll it up like a jelly roll loaf.
- Refrigerate for about an hour, then slice into pinwheels.