Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
For those of you who don't like or haven't tried turnip. Great with a steak, a roast, or chops. From: 500 Low-Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender
- 2 lbs turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Place the turnips and the garlic in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add water to fill about halfway, cover, and place over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, turn down the burner, and simmer until quite soft (about 15 minutes).
- Drain the turnips and garlic very well.
- Using a potato masher, mash the turnips and garlic together.
- Stir in the butter, horseradish, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and mix well.
- Just before serving, stir in the chives.
- Each serving has 10 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of fiber, for a total of 8 grams of usable carbs and 2 grams of protein.
I felt this had too many competing strong tastes at once. Next time I would leave out the nutmeg or the horseradish, or maybe both, I just didn't care for those two tastes together.
Good - Good - Good!! I got one helping - my husband ate the rest. Really nummy.
I make half of this recipe for hubby and me. I didn't have any chives but other than that, followed exactly. It's a different taste for turnips... one that actually grows on you. I like the horseradish in it. Made for Zaar Alphabet Tag Game 2011.