Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I tried this recipe and my family loved it. It is the modification of the normal khichdi by adding herbs and spices which are not very common in khichdi. It is a north Indian dish.
- 50 g white rice
- 50 g green gram (split)
- 1 cup chopped mixed herbs (coriander leaves, mint leaves, celery, parsley and basil)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1 dried bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, for tempering
- 4 -6 curry leaves
- Heat oil in a wok, add cumin seeds and let it splutter for few seconds.
- Add astefeodia, bay leaf, curry leaves.
- After the leaf change color add garlic and ginger,let it cook for sometime.
- The add onions, salt, chilli powder.
- Mix for few minutes till onions are slightly transparent.
- Add the remaining ingredients and water a little over twice the volume of rice.
- Transfer it in pressure cooker or rice cooker and cook till done.
- Serve hot with curd or any kind of raita.
- For decoration sprinkle the khichdi with chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.