Chitra Sharma's Note:
I tried this recipe and my family loved it. It is the modification of the normal khichdi by adding herbs and spices which are not very common in khichdi. It is a north Indian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 50 g white rice
- 50 g green gram (split)
- 1 cup chopped mixed herbs (coriander leaves, mint leaves, celery, parsley and basil)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1 dried bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, for tempering
- 4 -6 curry leaves
- 1Heat oil in a wok, add cumin seeds and let it splutter for few seconds.
- 2Add astefeodia, bay leaf, curry leaves.
- 3After the leaf change color add garlic and ginger,let it cook for sometime.
- 4The add onions, salt, chilli powder.
- 5Mix for few minutes till onions are slightly transparent.
- 6Add the remaining ingredients and water a little over twice the volume of rice.
- 7Transfer it in pressure cooker or rice cooker and cook till done.
- 8Serve hot with curd or any kind of raita.
- 9For decoration sprinkle the khichdi with chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Masala Khichdi
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.5
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 14.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: