Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a quick and easy dinner, very popular at our house. Sometimes I put it over rice, sometimes over egg noodles, sometimes over biscuits. You can change it by varying the vegetables you use, like turnips or green beans. And the neat thing is you can use whatever you have in the house at the time! Cook time includes time for chicken to parboil and vegetables to cook.
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- onion powder
- poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 7 tablespoons cold water
- Put the chicken breasts in a stockpot, and cover with water.
- Add chicken bouillon cubes.
- To give the broth more flavor, you can add celery tops, onion chunks and parsley while the chicken cooks.
- Par boil chicken until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken and celery tops, if added, from stockpot.
- Add vegetables to pot along with all seasonings.
- While vegetables are cooking, cut chicken into bite-sized pieces, and add to stock pot with vegetables.
- Mix corn starch and water together and mix well.
- When vegetables are cooked, about 20 minutes, bring to a rolling boil.
- Slowly add corn starch mixture to stockpot, stirring constantly, until desired thickness is achieved.
- Serve over rice, noodles, biscuits or mashed potatoes.
This is wonderful!!! It has become a staple at my house!!