Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the third installment of my date bar experiments! I love dates and I love to see what I can make out of them! I put a layer of marzipan in these date bars and they turned out really good! I hope you like them!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats
- 1 (8 ounce) packagechopped dates (I like Amport brand)
- 1 (7 ounce) packagepure almond paste (I use Odense brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and both sugars together in a large bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla then blend well. Next add flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add oats and dates and stir to blend.
- Press half the date mixture into an ungreased 8X8 glass baking dish.
- Roll the almond paste between 2 sheets of wax paper to form an 8X8 square.
- Place the almond paste on top of the date layer in the dish and press into place.
- Put the rest of the date mix on top of the marzipan layer and press it flat on top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes or more before cutting.
We enjoyed these bars. They are unusual with the layer of marzipan in the middle. Don't let the marzipan stick out as it goes hard in the oven. Just make sure the oat mixture covers the marzipan completely.