Recipe by Schnecke
I was looking for a way to use up a bag of beets I got at the farmer's market. This recipe is an interpretation of a few different recipes I found online. Awesome on a cold fall day with some crusty bread. :)
- 125 g bacon, sliced into thin strips
- 2 small yellow onions, halved & sliced
- 1⁄2 celery root, in large chunks
- 1⁄2 cabbage, shredded
- 3 carrots, scrubbed, in large chunks
- 5 -6 medium fresh beets, topped & scrubbed
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock powder
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 150 g sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the bacon in a large pot.
- Add onion, celery root, cabbage, carrots, unpeeled whole beets, bay leaves, peppercorns, broth powder and water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 and a half hours.
- With a slotted spoon, remove celery root, carrots and beets. Discard the celery root.
- Allow the beets and carrots to cool (10-15 minutes).
- Peel the beets and then grate the beets and carrots.
- Add the grated beets & carrots, vinegar & lemon juice to the broth. Cook 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.