Recipe by Mary Scheffert
This zucchini bread gets rave reviews - very moist and tasty, and easy to prepare.
Top Review by David Stobbe
Wonderful recipe; changed it around a bit & made muffins out of it; works superbly. Sprinkled the walnuts on top instead of in batter. Takes about 25-30 mins as muffins. Freeze very well as snacks. Makes 12 muffins. Bravo!
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini (green or yellow, or a combination)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind or 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease two loaf pans.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, soda, nutmeg, powder, and lemon (or orange) peel in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add shredded zucchini and walnuts; stir to combine.
- Add zucchini mixture to flour mixture; stir well.
- Pour evenly into prepared loaf pans; sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until loaves test done with toothpick.
- Let cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans onto wire rack to cool completely.
- *Note: Loaves freeze well.