Recipe by Nana Lee
As many of you know I have been trying to find a recipe for Walnut Cake for quite a while now. This was presented to me by another poster on the BGH baking site. I'll get to make in a few weeks and will add further comments here.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped black walnuts
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- sliced fresh strawberries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven at at 350°F Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Pulse black walnuts in a food processor 8 to 10 times or until finely ground; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla, beating just until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat batter at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Fold ground walnuts into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into pan
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and sliced fresh strawberries, if desired.