Recipe by ashleebb
Recipe came from Martha Stewart Living's 4th of July menu. "Cooking time depends on the size of the potatoes. You'll Know they are done when a paring knife is easily inserted into the center of one.
- 4 lbs russet potatoes (about 8 potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice (3/4 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 10 cornichons, cut into 1/4 inch dice (1/4 cup)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover by several inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, add 1 tablespoon salt, and lower to a gentle boil. Cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes
- Drain into a colander.
- Using paper towels or gloves to protect your hands, peel potatoes, and cut into 1-inch dice while still hot.
- Drizzle with vinegar; set aside.
- Place eggs in a small pan with enough water to cover by 1 inch, and place over medium-high heat When water comes to a boil, turn off heat, cover and let stand for 13 minutes.
- Drain, and place in a bowl with cold water to cover. When cold, peel eggs.
- Chop 2 into 1/4 inch dice. Slice the third egg into 1/4 inch thick rounds, and set aside for garnish.
- Combine diced eggs, mayonnaise celery seed, mustard, 2 teaspoons salt, and black pepper in a large bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Add reserved potatoes to mayonnaise mixture.
- Add celery, red pepper, onion, cornichons, scallions, and chopped parsley. Stir to combine.
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with paprika and reserved hard-boiled egg rounds.