All-American Potato Salad
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons pickle juice, divided
- 1 large dill pickle, finely diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 small celery rib, finely diced
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut in 1/4-inch dice (optional)
- Peel and cut potatoes in 1" cubes. Place in saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring up to a gentle simmer and cook until tender, when a knife slides in and out of cubes without resistance, about 10-15 minutes. Drain potatoes and turn out onto a baking sheet.
- Whisk mustard with 2 tbsp of juice from a jar of pickles. Pour over hot potatoes and toss with fingers to coat. Spread out potatoes and refrigerate for 30 minutes until cool.
- Combine pickle, celery, red onion and remaining 1 tbsp pickle juice with salt and celery seed. Add mayonnaise and sour cream and whisk together.
- Add potatoes and toss. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes longer. Add diced egg and fold to combine.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!