Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Can use more sugar if you prefer sweeter cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites, plus
- 1 pinch salt, for them
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour and baking powder together in a bowl; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together, beating till light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, and beat until batter is smooth. (Don’t panic, this will look more like cookie batter than cake batter.).
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not to dry. Gently fold into batter. (This was a bit of a chore, just keep at it).
- Fold in marshmallows.
- Spoon batter into cupcake papers, filling cups about 2/3 full(even if you are using papers, be sure to grease down the top of the muffin tins as the marshmallow part tends to ooze over a bit). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.