Recipe by Olha
A moist, crunchy, piquat bread that is especially good for tea or desert. Marmalades do vary in degree of sweetness which will affect, somewhat, the flavor of the bread.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup melted sweet butter
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade or 1⁄2 cup other marmalade (the combination lemon, orange, and grapefruit is noteworthy)
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup almonds
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg until light in color.
- Beat in honey, melted butter, orange juice, marmalade and rum.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Combine with liquid mixture and stir until just mixed.
- If marmalade is very runny, add 1/4 cup more flour.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake 50 minutes or until the top feels springy.
- Let the loaf sit in its pan 10 to 15 minutes before removing to cool on a rack.
- Makes 1 loaf.
- The Garden Way Bread Book.