Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very easy mild salsa recipe from Mark Bittman's excellent cookbook, "How to Cook Everything". This simple recipe is good as is but is also well suited to adding it whatever flavours you enjoy. (You can add some chopped cilantro, lime juice instead of lemon, corn kernels, chile peppers, etc...) Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored, peeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon paprika or 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tablespoon any good vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- Quarter the onion and tomatoes and whiz them in a food processor or blender with all the other ingredients except the lemon juice.
- Taste and add more salt and paprika or cayenne if needed along with the lemon juice or vinegar to taste. Serve or refrigerate for up to a day or two before serving.