1/2 Photos of Marinated Jamaican Chicken
5 hrs 30 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Although this is time consuming, this chicken is delicious. The marinade and glaze can be made ahead. Although this makes a lot of marinade and glaze any leftover (before adding the chicken) can be refrigerated in an airtight container for a later use. Recipe source: The Turtle Bay Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups water, plus
- 2 teaspoons jamaican jerk spice, plus (or use my recipe for Jamaican Spice Mixture or other spice mixtures)
- 1/2 teaspoon jamaican jerk spice
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup peanut oil or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken parts (work well) or 3 lbs chicken breasts (work well)
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, plus
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce or 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1In a large saucepan combine the water with 1/2 teaspoon of the Jamaican spices (or use my recipe for Jamaican Spice Mixture Jamaican Spice Mixture, ginger and garlic and cook over medium heat until it simmers. Remove from heat and let cool before proceeding.
- 2Add the pineapple juice and oil to the cooled liquid, mix well to combine.
- 3Transfer the liquid to a large bowl and add the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, turning chicken occasionally.
- 4Place remaining ingredients (the rest of the Jamaican spices (2 teaspoons) - hot sauce plus 1/4 cup water) in a blender and puree until smooth for the glaze. There will be most likely be extra glaze, but it can be refrigerated for another use. It can be refrigerated for about a week or so.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 6Remove chicken from marinade, and place chicken in a large baking pan. Discard marinade.
- 7Bake chicken for 40-60 minutes or until done, brushing on glaze occasionally during the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
- 8*Instead of baking chicken the chicken can also be grilled (about 20-30 minutes or until done) brushing on the glaze after the chicken starts to brown.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marinated Jamaican Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 733.9
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 176.2 mg
- Sodium 190.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 55.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
jamaican jerk spice
jamaican jerk spice