Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead the salad needs to chill for at least 4 hours to blend flavors, sliced beets may be used in place of the rosebud, this is best when served at almost room temerature, if you are not an onion-lover then omit --- do NOT taste the juice when it is still hot, the vinegar will take your breath away! allow to cool before tasting start with 1/4 cup sugar you can always add in more sugar after it is cooled a little just stir until dissolved --- I have tryed this with red wine vinegar and it was not great so I suggest to use only white wine vinegar for this --- this can easily be double or even tripled :)
Top Review by socholy
I love beets, but for me they are sweet enough--the addition of the sugar was not necessary for me (too sweet). However, I loved the addition of the dry mustard. I'll try again omitting the sugar. P.S. you absoultely did not miss the oil!
- 1 (16 ounce) canwhole beets (drained and reserve 1/4 cup beet juice)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup reserved beet juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the canned beets and reserve 1/4 cup beet liquid.
- Slice the beets into 1/2-inch slivers then place in a large glass bowl.
- Add in the onions; cover and refrigerate.
- For the dressing; in a saucepan over medium heat coook the sugar, mustard powder, reserved 1/4 cup beet juice, and garlic powder stirring until all the sugar granules are dissolved (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the wine vinegar and bring JUST to a boil; remove from heat and season with salt.
- Allow to cool to room temerature.
- Pour the dressing over the beets and onions; toss well to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.