Recipe by Kookaburra
We've been using this marinade for 25 years and never tire of it. The taste is wonderful and, if left overnight, the marinade helps to tenderize the steaks. (If tenderness is a big issue, add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to the recipe below). Prep time does not include time for marinading.
Top Review by vebro69
Great marinade. If you have a food sealer I suggest you place the steak in the bag and run the marinade function. Strapped for time I had it marinate for ~20mins under pressure while I prepped the remaining dinner. Too easy. Alternative to Red Wine, use equivalent measure of Jack Daniels, add some Chipotle chillies and place in a BBQ with some hickory chips. Sensational flavour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup) or 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- good grinding black pepper (or crushed chili to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a non-metallic bowl.
- Add steak and spoon over marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or preferably overnight (but even 1/2 hour will do).
- When ready to cook remove meat from marinade, pat dry with paper towels and cook as usual.
- (I usually fry or barbecue the steak).