Ingredients in a marinade can be varied, but it is important to use wine, vinegar, lemon juice, or some acidic liquid to break down the connective tissues. This process will make the steak more tender. Remaining marinade ingredients add flavor. Use a good-quality olive oil or walnut oil; add good-quality wine or vinegar and a combination of fresh and dried herbs, seasonings, garlic and soy sauce to make a flavorful marinade.
- Place all ingredients in glass screw-top jar; shake vigorously.
- Arrange meat in shallow glass dish; pierce with a fork.
- Pour marinade over meat; turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight, turning meat occasionally.
- Remove meat from marinade; pat dry.
- Remove any pieces of spices or herbs that may stick to meat.
- This recipe is a steak marinade, but the ingredients can be adapted for other meats using the same techniques.