1/1 Photo of Margarita's Cuban Ropa Vieja
1 hr 30 mins
A unique Cuban dish literally translated as 'Old Clothes' because the finely shredded flank steak resembles a pile of laundry...My favorite Cuban dish to include in the Holidays or just to show off Cuban Cuisine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brown the flank steak and then transfer to crock pot or deep roast pan.
- 2Sautee' green peppers and when softened, add onion, and garlic and seaxonings.
- 3Once softened, add tomatoes. Stir together and pour over flank steak.
- 4Add red wine to mixture and stir inches Flank steak should now be fully submerged in the sauce.
- 5Cover and heat to boiling. Reduce afterwards to simmer and cook for an hour, occasionally stirring the Ropa Vieja.
- 6After an hour, remove the meat from the liquid and let sit for ten minutes.
- 7Taking two forks, create super stringy strips out of the flank steak by scraping and moving the forks through the meat. The meat will naturally separate into stringy pieces.
- 8Return the stringy flank steak back to the liquid,.
- 9Add raisins, green olives and sugar. Simmer covered another twenty minutes.
- 10Serve on a bed of rice. http://www.cubancuisine.co.uk.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Margarita's Cuban Ropa Vieja
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.0
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 46.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives
Sazon Goya seasoning