Recipe by miamimamas
A unique Cuban dish literally translated as 'Old Clothes' because the finely shredded flank steak resembles a pile of laundry...My favorite Cuban dish to include in the Holidays or just to show off Cuban Cuisine.
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 stuffed green olives
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup raisins
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sazon Goya seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the flank steak and then transfer to crock pot or deep roast pan.
- Sautee' green peppers and when softened, add onion, and garlic and seaxonings.
- Once softened, add tomatoes. Stir together and pour over flank steak.
- Add red wine to mixture and stir inches Flank steak should now be fully submerged in the sauce.
- Cover and heat to boiling. Reduce afterwards to simmer and cook for an hour, occasionally stirring the Ropa Vieja.
- After an hour, remove the meat from the liquid and let sit for ten minutes.
- Taking two forks, create super stringy strips out of the flank steak by scraping and moving the forks through the meat. The meat will naturally separate into stringy pieces.
- Return the stringy flank steak back to the liquid,.
- Add raisins, green olives and sugar. Simmer covered another twenty minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rice. http://www.cubancuisine.co.uk.