Recipe by newmama
These are delicious, perfect for summer cookouts or with Mexican fare! If you don't want to make a SMBC (I recommend trying, it's very easy!) you can just use a regular buttercream (butter and powdered sugar) and add the tequila and lime to that. Recipe slightly adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride.
Top Review by bill mayes
I gave it 4 stars and not five because I thought the icing was just ok. It was also kinda of runny. This could have been my fault. Without the icing this was a strong 5 star recipe. It was moist and the taste was certainly margaritaish. I will make again but with a different icing. Thanks for the recipe it was desert for July 4th 2011.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 3 limes, juice and zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, unsalted room temp
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 lime, zest of (optional)
- green sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- for the cupcakes:.
- sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- cream butter and sugar about 3 minutes until fluffy.
- add eggs 1 at a time, mixing between each one.
- add vanilla, lime juice, tequila and zest, mix to combine.
- add flour and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with the flour.
- fill cupcake cups and bake at 325 for 22-25 minutes.
- cool 10 minutes in pans then completely on racks.
- for the buttercream:.
- combine egg whites, sugar and salt in stand mixer bowl (metal) over a pot of simmering water- water shouldn't touch the bowl.
- whisk until sugar dissolves- use your fingers to test, it won't be too hot to touch and you shouldn't feel any sugar grains. if you take the temp it should be about 160.
- place the bowl back in the mixer with the whisk attachment and beat medhigh/high until stiff and glossy and cool (about 8-10 minutes, dont worry this is one time you can't over beat).
- when the bowl and whites are cooled add butter- room temp but cool, not too soft- 2 tbs at a time until it's all added.
- it might look liquidy but just keep beating. it might then look curdled, keep on beating., if it's really not thickening put it in the fridge for 15-30 minutes, take it out and whip it again, still on med-high. it should be smooth and satiny.
- add the tequila and lime with the mixer going
- when cupcakes are completely cool pipe frosting generously
- * to amp up the margarita flavor brush cooled cupcakes with tequila before frosting and rub lime zest into the green (or white) sugar until fragrant. sprinkle over frosted cupcakes- ad a little salt if you like it too!