Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is originally from a magazine, maybe Good Housekeeping or McCalls but I've had it for a long time in my recipe binder. It's very impressive in a glass bowl or a trifle dish and is a great way to show off summer's lucious berries!Prepare this early in the day that you want to serve it or the day ahead.
- 3 pints strawberries, washed and hulled
- 3 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin (I use Knox)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream (whipping)
- fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Prepare collar for a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish. If you're using a deep glass or trifle bowl, you probably won't need to do this.
- Tear off a 20 inch piece of waxed paper; fold lengthwise into a 20 inches by 6 inches strip. Wrap around outside of dish so collar stands 2 inches above the rim; tape or fasten in place.
- In a food processor with knife blade attached, or in blender, puree strawberries.
- Pour 1 cup puree into small bowl, remaining puree into a large bowl.
- In a 1 quart saucepan, mix gelatin, sugar and salt.
- Add water; cook over low heat until gelatin is completely disolved, stirring often.
- Into puree in small bowl, stir 2 tablespoons of the gelatin mixture.
- Into puree in large bowl, stir lemon juice, vanilla, and remaining gelatin mixture.
- Refrigerate mixtures, stirring often, until mixtures mound when dropped from a spoon, about 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold whites and whipped cream into strawberry mixture in the large bowl.
- Alternately spoon mixtures from both bowls into prepared souffle dish.
- With knife, cut through mixtures to make a pretty swirled design.
- Cover and refrigerate mousse until set, 4 to 6 hours.
- Carefully remove waxed paper collar and serve, garnished with several fresh strawberries.