Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very good. Ghirardelli.com
- 2 ounces chocolate, broken into 1-inch pieces (Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bar)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (They are to go in the crust)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Combine flour, pecans, butter or margarine, and brown sugar; mix well.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 8" or 9" square baking pan.
- Bake 15-16 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Let cool while preparing batter.
- Melt the chocolate (broken into 1" pieces)in a double boiled over hot, but not boiling, water, water.
- Stir the chocolate occasionally until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after.
- Remove 1 cup batter and reserve.
- Add the melted chocolate to the mixing bowl and combine.
- Spoon the chocolate batter over the crust.
- Pour the 1 cup of reserved plain batter over the chocolate batter.
- Using the blade of a butter knife, swirl the batter to create a marbled effect.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until center is set.
- Place the pan on wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- Cover, and transfer the pan to the refrigerator to chill, approximately 3 hours.
- Store in covered in refrigerator.