Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious twist on a favorite old dessert from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Melt butter, without browning, in a heavy skillet.
- Remove from heat, spread maple sugar over bottom of skillet and cover with a layer of sliced pineapple.
- Beat egg whites until beaters leave soft peaks.
- Beat egg yolks; add granulated sugar, water, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Beat together until thick and lemon colored.
- Add dry ingredients and beat for three minutes.
- Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter over pineapple in skillet and bake for about 45 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Loosen cake from sides and bottom and turn out onto cake rack immediately.