Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Goes great with coffee.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- Cream sugar and shortening together.
- Add the syrup and stir well.
- Mix together flour and baking powder.
- Add the milk and flour mix, alternating small amounts of each until all mixed.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, then fold into batter.
- Bake in a greased pan at 350°F for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Not Bad, A little Dry Tho
I made two versions of this recipe and both turned out really well. The first, I made exactly as you directed and it was wonderful- gave it to my neighbor who just moved in. The second I made for myself with some modifications. First, I used applesauce instead of the shortening, Splenda instead of the sugar, and sugar-free maple-flavored b'fast syrup instead of the pure stuff. I also added 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. It turned out well. Not as tasty as the original recipe, but I may play around with it some more and post my updated recipe, of course paying homage to yours! I think slicing some apples and placing in the bottom of the pan would make it something truly special for Fall get-togethers. Thanks! I know my neighbor thanks you too.