Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This dish is perfect for a chilly fall evening. The rosemary seasoned chicken and tender sweet potatoes coated in a sweet citrus glaze, and cradled in a bread bowl is both delicious and satisfying. (Try this glaze over grilled ham steaks - DELISH!!)
- 4 loaf bread, small round (country-style or sourdough)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 473.18 ml fresh orange juice
- 59.16 ml orange zest
- 118.29 ml maple syrup
- 59.16 ml light brown sugar
- 4.92 ml ground cloves
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 29.58 ml olive oil, divided
- 680.38 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground pepper
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 29.58 ml fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 2 large shallots, finely sliced
- 118.29 ml red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries
- 59.14 ml walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml chopped scallion
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Make a 1/2-inch deep cut horizontally across the top of the bread loaves. Using a sharp knife, hollow to form a large bowl. Set aside. (BE CAREFUL TO NOT BREAK THROUGH THE SIDES OR THE BOTTOM CRUST). Cut the scooped out bread into crouton sized cubes and bake in 425°F oven until brown; set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot; add enough water to cover. Cook over a high flame and bring to a boil, lower flame to medium-high and cook until tender (about 3 - 5 minutes); drain and set aside.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the orange juice, orange zest, maple syrup, brown sugar, cloves, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large-wide skillet over a medium-high flame. Season the chicken cubes with salt, pepper, onion powder, rosemary, and ginger. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the center is no longer pink. Remove the chicken and keep warm.
- Heat HALF of the maple-orange glaze in a sauce pan until thick and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Sauté shallots and red onion over a medium-high flame until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the onion and cook it just long enough to coat with oil. To the skillet, add the chicken, sweet potatoes and the remaining glaze mixture; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes - glaze should be thick and bubbly.
- In small bowl, mix together cranberries, walnuts, scallions and red pepper. In large mixing bowl, gently toss the glazed chicken and sweet potatoes, the cranberry mixture, and the baked croutons - If desired, drizzle additional glaze to thoroughly coat the chicken and sweet potato mixture.
- Divide and transfer to the hollowed bread loaves; sprinkle with parsley to garnish. Place the "bread bowls" on a plate or in a deep soup bowl. Serve with extra maple-orange glaze on the side.
- DON'T FORGET -- YOU CAN EAT THE BOWL!