Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another winner based on a Canadian Living recipe. Make sure the maple syrup is the real thing! A very smooth dessert
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Strawberry Puree: In food processor, pureé strawberries until smooth.
- If using frozen berries, let thaw a bit and drain to get rid of excess juices.
- Stir in sugar until dissolved and place 1 T.
- in the bottom of 4 wine glasses or small dishes.
- Refrigerate remainder for topping.
- Maple Mousse: In heavy saucepan, cook egg yolks and maple syrup over low heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
- In the mean time, sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand for one minute to soften.
- Heat over low until dissolved and add to maple mixture.
- Place in large bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until the consistency of raw egg whites.
- Whip cream and whisk one quarter of it into maple mixture.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Divide evenly among glasses and refrigerate for at least two hours- can even be done the day before.
- Spoon remaining puree over each mousse.
- If you find fresh berries, add to top as well.