Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
rec'd this from my mother-in-law in 1972. Seemed a little odd with flour and baking powder, but its a great always successful recipe.
- Lightly grease 9 x 11 brownie pan.
- (originally calls for a 9 x 13 pan, but, I find this too thin afterwards).
- Mix in a lightly buttered heavy large saucepan, the brown sugar, butter, cream, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture reaches 235degrees F.
- on a candy thermometer.
- Or until a soft ball forms in cold water.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and nuts.
- Beat two to five minutes or until candy begins to thicken.
- Pour quickly into prepared buttered pan.
- Spread evenly.
- Cut into squares while still soft.
fast, easy, great directions, although you should add for the candy novice to work fast spreading once it starts to cool, because the mixture firms up to unspreadablity really fast. Also I used almond extract