Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is based on one from Food Everyday, the November 2006 issue.
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan with butter and flour; set aside. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to combine; set aside.
- Add butter, maple syrup, and sugar to large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Mix in vanilla.
- Beginning and ending with flour mixture, with mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture in 3 parts and sour cream in 2 parts. Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top with spatula or knife. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on rack right side up. Cool completely.
- MAPLE GLAZE:.
- Make glaze after cake is completely baked and cooled.
- Combine maple syrup and melted unsalted butter in a bowl. Sift in confectioners’ sugar; whisk to combine. Adjust consistency with syrup or sugar, if necessary.
- Pour over cake, spreading to edges (it may drip down the sides). Let set, at least 15 minutes, before serving.