1 hr 10 mins
These little shortbread bars with maple coconut filling look and sound irresistible!! Taken from Zoe Bakes, it was her grandmother's recipe and a family favorite at Christmastime! She uses dried fruit and candied homemade grapefruit peel in hers. I hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (optional) or 2 tablespoons cherries, very finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons candied fruit, very finely chopped (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Prepare a 9″ square baking dish with parchment paper (or use a Rectangular Tart Mold with Removable Bottom).
- 3To make the brown butter shortbread:.
- 4In a small sauce pot heat the butter on medium heat until it boils and the butter turns a light golden color, about 3-5 minutes. Strain the butter into a medium bowl. Add the sugar and flour and mix with a spoon until well incorporated. The dough will be quite loose. Cover and refrigerate for about 10 minutes. If the dough gets too cold just let it sit out until it is soft and pliable again.
- 5Put into the pan and distribute it evenly; cover in plastic wrap and then you can easily spread with your fingers without the dough sticking to you.
- 6Bake on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes or until the dough is a nice golden brown. Remove and allow the crust to cool on a rack while you make the maple filling.
- 7Maple coconut filling:.
- 8In a sauce pot combine the maple syrup, salt, coconut and vanilla, cook over medium heat until boiling. Continue to cook for about a minute, add the dried and candied fruits if using.
- 9Pour the coconut mixture over the cooled crust. Bake at 375° for about 15-20 minutes, until the coconut turns golden brown.
- 10Cool completely before removing from pan. (If you are using the 9″ pan with parchment you will need to cut around the edges with a knife to loosen and invert onto a plate. Peel off the parchment and invert onto a cutting board.).
- 11Cut into rectangular bars or little squares if you want them to last a few extra minutes!
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple Brown-Butter Shortbread Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.5
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 174.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 21.9 g
- Protein 2.0 g