Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Whenever I crave a taste of 'home' and have some maple-syrup that needs using up, I make these.
- 1 lb navy beans, soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 lb canadian back bacon, cut in 3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups hot water
- salt and pepper
- Drain beans and place them into a covered earthenware pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and hot water, mix well.
- Cover and cook in the oven, at 300°F, for 3 hours.
- Remove cover and continue to cook for 1 hour or more until beans are tender and sauce is thickened.
I didn't let it meld as long as called for, and used 2 lbs of hot dogs instead of bacon. I ended up with some delicious beans + wieners. TFS
These were delicious, but definitely better the 2nd day I served them. I replaced the back bacon with a veggie bacon to make them vegetarian and omitted the tomato paste too. I love sweet baked beans and maple syrup and when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. The flavor was spot on. Usually my oven runs hot but it took almost 5 hours for them to cook (and I did soak them for 14 hrs). I may try them in the crockpot next time since it did tie up my oven longer than expected, however I wouldn't change anything else. A big hit with my 2yr old and me - we loved them. Others thought that they were "good", but I believe that to be a matter of personal taste. Served as a side to a BBQ meal. Will surely repeat this recipe - thank you Evelyn!
Loved it! Real comfort food from Downeast!