Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This cake is SCRUMPTIOUS!! From Blue Corn and Chocolate cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal (I used stone-ground)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup, I used 1/2 cup (use real maple syrup if you can)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt and mix well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk and mixing well after each addition. Stir in chopped nuts and mix well.
- Spread the batter evenly in a buttered 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and pour the maple syrup evenly over the top of the cake. Return pan to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving.
- Makes 10-12 servings.