1/1 Photo of Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce (Copycat)
The Spice Guru's Note:
My reverse-engineered homestyle recipe for Hunt's "Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb browned fresh ground beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can quality tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup (Karo)
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar (Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon unseasoned sweet chili powder
- 1 teaspoon plain salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1BROWN the GROUND BEEF in a skillet over medium heat, breaking meat up with spatula as it cooks, while stirring occasionally.
- 2MEANWHILE as the meat is browning, drop approximately 1 halved medium red bell pepper and 1 quartered green bell pepper into a food processor while running, until pepper pieces are as fine as they will chop.
- 3DRAIN the GROUND BEEF if necessary after it has browned.
- 4COVER the skillet with ground beef; REDUCE heat to lowest setting to keep warmed.
- 5WHISK the following SAUCE ingredients well in a medium bowl: 1 (6 ounce) can quality tomato paste, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup Karo light corn syrup, 1/2 cup Heinz distilled white vinegar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes, 1 teaspoon unseasoned sweet chili powder, 1 teaspoon plain salt, 1/2 teaspoon Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes, 1/8 teaspoon white pepper.
- 6POUR the sauce mixture into a medium saucepan; ADD one bay leaf; STIR in the chopped BELL PEPPER.
- 7BOIL the sauce mixture for one full minute while whisking constantly; REDUCE heat to medium; COOK for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally; REMOVE bay leaf; SEASON to taste with salt if necessary.
- 8ADD sauce to cooked GROUND BEEF in saucepan; STIR until mixture is thoroughly combined; COVER; KEEP warmed.
- 9TO PREPARE SLOPPY JOES: For toasted steamed buns if desired, melt butter a large skillet over medium heat; PLACE place halved buns cut-side down; REDUCE heat and cover until buns are browned on bottom and heated through. Spoon sauce over warmed hamburger buns (you may customize your Sloppy Joes to your own preference, such as adding powdered parmesan cheese and/or shredded cheddar cheese, or other extras).
- 10SERVE and ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.9
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 695.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 15.6 g