Recipe by Laury2000
this is from Better Homes and Gardens Slow-Cooker Meals cookbook Serves: 4
Top Review by *Parsley*
A great soup with very little effort. I had regular vegetable juice, so I added some hot sauce. We enjoyed this very much. The crumbled bacon is a nice touch, but it's also great without it. I will have to double this recipe next time! Thanx!
- 10 ounces canned minced baby clams
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery & leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups spicy vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 slices bacon, crisp cooked, drained and crumbled or 1⁄4 cup cooked bacon bits
Directions See How It's Made
- drain clams, reserving liquid (about 2/3 cup) Place clams in a small bowl; cover and chill.
- In a 3.4-4 quart slow cooker, combine reserved clam liquid, potatoes, onion, celery and sweet pepper; stir in undrained tomatoes, hot tomato juice, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low heat steeping for 8-10 hours or on high heat setting for 4-5 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in Chilled Clams. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 5 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle individual servings with bacon.