Recipe by TasteTester
Our family loves mangoes, and this recipe is a different and delicious way to use them.
Top Review by Ambervim
This is tasty. The cinnamon sugar on top makes a real difference. I didn't use as much as it called for in the recipe, I just sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top. I made this for coffee hour at church on mother's day.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups coarsely chopped seeded and peeled mangoes (about 3)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sweetened whipped cream (optional) or Cool Whip (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, the 2 cups sugar, baking powder, soda, nutmeg and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumb.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture all at once; stir just until moistened. Fold in mangoes. Spread in prepared pan. Combine the 1/3 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. (Mango pieces will sink to the bottom of coffee cake.) Cool slightly. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip, if desired.