Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious, refreshing salad that can really be adapted to your tastes. I got this from a friend and have had many rave reviews whenever I serve it.
- 78.07 ml salad oil
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml white vinegar
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 946.36 ml torn spinach (or any combination you'd like of romaine, iceburg, spinach etc.)
- 236.59 ml diced celery
- 118.29 ml sliced green onion (or sometimes I use red onion)
- 311.84 g can mandarin orange segments, drained
- In a jar, combine all ingredients for the dressing.
- Shake well and refrigerate for at least one hour to blend flavours.
- (I make it the night before) In a heavy skillet, cook almonds and sugar over medium heat until sugar melts and coats almonds, stirring frequently.
- Break apart if necessary.
- In large bowl, combine spinach, celery and green onions.
- Just before serving, add almonds and orange segments.
- Toss gently.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.
- P.S.I always double the amount of almonds because they really add a wonderful flavour to the salad-- and because some mysteriously disappear before they make it to the salad!
Mmmm, this is a nummy salad and a great way to use up a few of those leftover Christmas mandarins! I changed the dressing a bit by adding a few slices of fresh ginger and running it through the blender.
This is a light and refreshing spring salad indeed !!!! I had this as my dinner this evening and can't wait to take the leftovers to work for lunch tomorrow !! I will make this a standard at my house from now on . I also think this would be a great potluck dish if you pack all the ingredients seperatley and then toss this on site . How lovely , Thank You !
I'm surprised that I have not reviewed this recipe before. It literally turned me into someone who regularly eats salads. It's nice to try out new food that is green! The almonds add a really nice touch, and the sugar doesn't make the overall flavor too sweet. I've played around with some of the ingredients, but usually make it as is. The other day, I realized that I didn't have any spinach. I used mixed greens and threw in some leftover pineapple. No matter what I seem to do, I end up devouring the bowl. I'd highly recommend this recipe!