Recipe by Chele D
This is a beautiful tossed salad with spinach, romaine, and mandarin oranges with a sweet, sour, slightly spicy dressing. To top it all off, glazed sliced almonds. I first made this in culinary school, and I have made it many times. It is great for entertaining. The mandarin oranges' color just "pops" against the greens. Time includes chill time for the dressing.
Top Review by Bev
Let me begin by saying this is easily a more than 5 Star recipe. This salad is by far better than a lot of salads I have been served in restaurants! I made as directed changing only the sliced green onions to thinly sliced red onions and only because that is what I had on hand. The red onions were a beautiful addition to the salad. This recipe will stay on top of my recipe list to serve very often! I thank you & my husband thanks you, Chele D!!
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (more or less Tabasco is best for this as it just brings some heat to the party)
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 4 cups torn spinach leaves (or any combination of lettuces)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In jar with tight-fitting lid, combine all dressing ingredients; shake well. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- In skillet, cook almonds and sugar over medium low heat until sugar melts and coats almonds, stirring frequently. Cool; break apart.
- Combine the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Toss with dressing and top with almonds--I prefer to top the salad, and at the last minute, as opposed to tossing the almonds in the salad to keep the sugar from being "washed off" by the dressing.