Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Easy and yummy cold pasta salad with a sweet dressing that reminds me of a poppy seed dressing. This has been handed down in my family for generations. Best made the day before to allow the pasta to absorb the dressing and the flavors blend. Hope you like it! PS This is also a great dressin for a sweet mayo slaw dressing.
- 8 ounces small shell pasta
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise, can use low fat
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions using salted water.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to remove the starchy water and cool the pasta quickly.
- Shake the strained to remove as much water as possible from the pasta. You want it as dry as possible but not sticking together.
- Place in large bowl and add the veggies. (This really is best and prettiest when the veggies are diced small.).
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together- I usually put it in an empty jar with a tight fitting lid- like an old mayo jar- and shake-the kids like to do this part! (The dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in refrigerator).
- Pour dressing over pasta and veggies and stir to thoroughly combine.
- NOTE: Holidays: The red and green veggies look great at Christmastime!
- BBQ's/Picnics: Place the bowl on top of a bowl filled with ice to keep it really cold.
- You can use other veggies too- Great way to use up the garden goodies!