Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 mins
A little "putzy", but worth it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 small jalapenos (finely chopped)
- 4 medium shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb bean sprouts
- 2 medium scallions (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 lb firm tofu (chopped)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- oil (for frying)
- For Filling:.
- Heat oil in wok and stir-fry garlic, jalapeno pepper, shallots and turmeric until fragrant.
- Add shrimp and cook for 1 minute.
- Add bean sprouts and scallions, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tofu, stir to heat through.
- Add salt to taste and remove from heat.
- For Pastry:
- Combine flour, oil, salt and enough water to make dough and knead for 5 minutes.
- Roll out dough and use a cookie cutter to make rounds about 3 inches across.
- Place a teaspoon of filling on each round, dampen the edges with water, and fold over to make a half-moon shape. Seal with a fork.
- Deep fry until golden.