1/1 Photo of Make Ahead Chimichangas
1 hr 25 mins
Chimichangas any way you want them: right now or later, baked or fried. From BH&G
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g cooked beef or 453.59 g pork or 453.59 g chicken
- 453.59 g jar salsa
- 453.59 g can refried beans
- 113.39 g can diced green chili peppers
- 42.52 g envelope burrito seasoning mix or 42.52 g envelope taco seasoning mix
- 16 flour tortillas, 7 or 8 inch
- 453.59 g monterey jack cheese or 453.59 g cheddar cheese, cut into sixteen 5 x 1/2 inch sticks
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- cooked rice (optional)
- cooking oil (optional)
- 1Using two forks, shred cooked meat or chicken (should have about 3 cups).
- 2In a large skillet combine meat or chicken, salsa, beans, undrained chili peppers, and seasoning mix.
- 3Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through.
- 4In another skillet heat tortillas, one at a time, over medium-low heat about 30 seconds per side.
- 5For each chimichanga, place 1/3 cup meat mixture atop a tortilla, near one edge.
- 6Top with a cheese stick.
- 7Fold in sides; roll up, starting with cheese side.
- 8Bake, covered, in 350 degree F.
- 9oven for 30 minutes.
- 10Uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until heated through.
- 11Serve with salsa, dairy sour cream, and hot cooked rice, if desired.
- 12Make-Ahead Tip: To freeze, place chimichangas in freezer containers.
- 13Seal, label, and freeze for up to 6 months.
- 14To prepare, wrap frozen chimichangas individually in foil.
- 15Bake in a 350 degree F.
- 16oven about 50 minutes or until heated through.
- 17(Or, thaw chimichangas in refrigerator overnight. Bake about 30 minutes.) Unwrap.
- 18Bake 10 minutes more or until tortilla is crisp and brown.
- 19Or, heat about 1/4-inch depth of oil in a skillet.
- 20Cook desired number of frozen chimichangas, uncovered, in hot oil about 25 minutes (about 18 minutes if thawed) over medium-low heat or until golden, turning often.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Make Ahead Chimichangas
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 866.8
- Calories from Fat 575
- Total Fat 63.8 g
- Saturated Fat 29.5 g
- Cholesterol 109.7 mg
- Sodium 1314.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 28.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
burrito seasoning mix