Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A toothsome delight from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cornmeal together.
- Cream butter, salt and sugar; add eggs and milk, then the sifted baking powder, flour and cornmeal.
- Mix quickly and pour into greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.
These are a dinnery type of corn muffin, with just a hint of butteriness and sugar, so the corn flavor isn't overpowered. They did come out a bit dry for me, even after baking for only 20 minutes, so they would be good with a stew or similar dish. Thanks!